Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Oda al aire


Ode to the air


Pablo Neruda
(my translation)

Walking down a road
I ran into the air,
greeted him and said
respectfully:
I am glad
that for once
you aren’t transparent,
so we can talk.
The untiring one
danced, rustled the leaves,
shook the dust off my shoes
with his smile,
and raising up all
his blue masts and sails,
his glass skeleton,
his eyelids made of breeze,
unmoving as a mast
he stayed there listening to me.
I kissed him on his
king-of-the-sky skin,
I wrapped myself up in his flag
made of heaven’s silk
and I told him:
king or comrade,
thread, bird or petals,
I don’t know who you are, but
I’m asking one thing of you,
don’t sell yourself off.
Water sold itself away
and I have seen
the drops stop dripping
from the pipes
in the desert
and all the people, the poor people
walking thirsty
staggering in the sand.
I saw the light at night
get rationed,
the best light in the houses
of the rich.
Everything is dawn in the
new suspended gardens,
everything is darkness
in the terrible
alleyway shadows.
And then the night,
the mother-stepmother,
comes out
with a knife right in the middle
of her owl eyes,
and a shout, a crime,
they rise up and are ended
swallowed by shadows.
No, air,
don’t sell yourself off,
don’t let them put you in canals,
don’t let them put you in tubes,
don’t let them put you in boxes,
don’t let them pack you away,
don’t let them make tablets out of you,
don’t let them put you in a bottle,
be careful,
call me
when you need me,
I am the poet-son
of the poor, father, uncle,
cousin, blood brother
and brother in law
of the poor, of everyone,
of my country and all the other ones,
of the poor that live near the river,
of those that live in the high places
of the vertical cordillera
they pick at rocks,
nail together tables,
sew clothes,
chop wood,
grind up the earth,
and so
I want them to breathe,
you are the only one they have,
that’s why you are
transparent,
so that they can see
what will come tomorrow,
that’s why you exist,
air,
let yourself breathe,
don’t chain yourself up,
don’t trust anybody
that comes in their car
to examine you,
leave them behind,
laugh at them,
blow off their hats,
don’t accept
their propositions,
let’s go together
dancing around the world,
knocking the flowers
off the apple tree,
entering through windows,
whistling together,
whistling
yesterday and tomorrow
melodies,
a day will come
when we will free
light and water,
the earth, man,
and everything for everyone
will be, as you are.
That’s why, now,
be careful!
and come with me,
there is a lot left
to dance and sing,
let’s go
over the sea,
above the mountains,
let’s go
where the new spring
is flowering
and in one gust of wind
and song
let’s pass out the flowers,
the aroma, the fruit,
the air
of tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent translation. Thank you! Es super dificil encontrar el Corazon de las palabras en ingles.

    ReplyDelete